Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Bread Log 18-19: Beer Bread and Roasted Garlic Levain

For this bake I was joined by another friend, and so once again it was a two bake day.  Even more unusual this marked the first new formula I've created, modifying Hamelman's Beer Bread with Roasted Barley into the beauty you see below. I'll figure out a way to link up the full formula soon.  Unfortunately I was a slacker when it came to pictures so you'll have to make due with just a handful.
-
 -
Starting with this bake, I decided that rather than doing a plethora of different shapes with each bake, I would endeavor to repeat the same shape and aim for consistency. That being said I only have one round coiled proofing basket so the pretty flour markings only appear on one of the two loaves.
-
 -
Still pretty ;).
-
-
The loaves were a little lower profile than I would like, but all in all it was pretty successful and (not to pat myself on the back too much) damn tasty.

With the second formula I was back to Hamelman's book with Roasted Garlic Levain.  Once again I miscalculated the flour when multiplying the recipe which made for a FAR more hydrated dough than I had aimed for.  That being said it was still workable so we decided to give it a go.  Needless to say, it wouldn't be fair to judge this formula based on the results I obtained. 
-
-
Yup . . . that's the only picture . . .

We are making some headway on the catch up, but there is still a good ways to go.  Thanks as always for reading. 

Here are the details for the Beer Bread:
Room: 71.6
Flour: 69.4
Pre-ferment: 72.5
Water: 73
Final Temp: 77
Mix: 3 minutes speed 2 + cut + 1.5 minutes speed 2 +1.5 minutes speed 3
Bulk: 2 folds over 2 hrs.

Here are the details for the Garlic Levain:
Room: 71.6
Flour: 69.8
Pre-ferment: 68
Water: 77+70.5
Final Temp: 77
Mix: 3 minutes speed 2 + cut +3 minutes speed 2 + Cut + 2 minutes speed 3
Bulk: 3 folds over 2 hrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment