Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Bread Log 17: Six Fold French.

So this was a formula I was really looking forward to, a no knead french dough which just utilized folding during bulk fermentation.  I've since adopted the process for several of the other formulae and while it might not work in a professional setting due to volume size it works really well in the quantities we work in as home bakers.
 -
 -
The gist is simple, incorporate your ingredients, and then at regular intervals do multiple folds in the dough.  At the beginning these folds are more like the folding you do when making Chocolate Mousse, a gentle motion with a spatula.  However as the dough gained strength, I had to go back to my standard method of folding dough by hand.  I've got incremental pictures below so you can see the dough's development over time as well as the ultimate results.
-
I did a double batch, so here are the two batches scaled out side by side.
-
-
Here we are post incorporation
-
-
Fold 1
-
-
Fold 2
-
-
Fold 3
-
-
Fold 4
-
-
Fold 5
-
-
Fold 6

After this point it was shaping and baking as per normal.  I did a couple of boules, baguettes, and a scissor cut baguette called an Epi which is meant to look like a stalk of wheat.
-
-
And of course I have a couple of crumb pics so you can see how it turned out.
-
-
I was very happy with the structure on the baguettes, especially considering it was my first time using the fold only technique.  In the future I hope to outline the process a bit better for you, as it would be easily replicatable for any of you who are interested. 'Till next time!

Here are the details:
Room Temp: 73.6
Water Temp: 82.2
Flour Temp:  72.1
Preferment Temp: 67..6
Final Temp: 82 (target 76. . . yipe!)
No mix or autolyse information for this bread!

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmm. That's the kind of bread I crrrrrave hardcore. My problem is always getting it from the bowl into the oven without destroying it. Boo. Detailed instructions for bread-dummies would be super-rad. Thanks, Dan! Looks great as always! The Epi is so putty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to beat a good baguette I'm with ya. Is there a specific part of the time from bowl to bake that is giving you hives? Shaping, proofing, loading . . . etc? I'll try and think of how to break it down for one of the future posts, and if we ever wind up in the same place for an afternoon we'll have to do some baking!

      Delete
    2. Yes, we must! The part I can't figure out is just getting it from bowl to pan without deflating. Or if it's supposed to deflate there, how to rise it before baking without it just spreading everywhere. I don't really know what I'm talking about! I have just often had a really beautiful bowl of risen lovely dough that I can't figure out how to get into the oven and preserve its awesomeness.

      Delete