Thursday, June 9, 2011

Gettin' down to it . . .

I've been sitting on this blog for the past few weeks, and finally got the ball rolling on the subject matter this past Sunday.  Still I've been grappling with how to kick this thing off.  Not to re-hash everything that I so eloquently *cough* wrote into the blog description, but I should say a few things in this first post about what I hope this blog will be for both you the reader (aka friend or family) and me.

While I've enjoyed cooking for as long as I can remember it's been in the last 5 years that I really began to focus on baking specifically.  My skills took a major leap forward after I spent a year working my way through various positions at Wheatfields (a fantastic and truly artisan bakery in Lawrence, KS).  Since leaving I've tried to maintain what I learned through home baking, and have managed to keep at it, accruing bits of equipment and adapting to the very different challenges of the tiny kitchen in my apartment.

That being said, I found I was getting into a rut with which breads I'd make and wanted a good excuse to expand my repertoire.  As a challenge, I've decided to work my way through Jeffrey Hamelman's "Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes" (which is an amazing resource for ANY baker), by making one or two batches of bread a week and logging the results here. Also, for those of you who have foolishly expressed interest in my baking process, alongside those entries I will be trying to explain the different steps in the bread making process as it was taught to me.  All I'm saying is prepare to be babbled at. . .

Anywho, thanks for checking in, and I hope you find something here that piques your interest!

-Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment